This user has not added any information to their profile yet.
With a passion for communication and self-expression, Edel thoroughly values the right for every person to understand their world and to have their message heard.
Since communication learning best takes place during enjoyable shared experiences, she utilises a social developmental approach with a positive emphasis on interaction and play, when working with children. Edel has a warm and holistic approach and is dedicated to providing high quality evidence-based assessment and intervention.
Working collaboratively with the team around each child to set individualised, realistic and meaningful goals is a cornerstone to Edels’ practice. She empowers parents and guardians with the tools to direct their children towards effective communication and liaises closely with other relevant professionals such as school staff etc., to help each child reach their full potential across all their interactive settings.
Edel is committed to her continued professional development in order to provide up to date best practice for her clients. See below for a list of her post qualification training and certification to date.
- Certified training in DIR Floortime and Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS). Training on principles of TEACHH.
- Certified training in Intensive Interaction Therapy.
- Certified Hanen It Takes Two to Talk Program Facilitator Training.
- Certified Hanen Target Word Facilitator Training.
- Certified training in Lamh – Irish Key Word Signing System
- Certified Michael Palin Centre for Children who Stammer training in working with school aged children and teenagers who stammer.
- Certified Lidcombe Training for children who stammer – early intervention and school aged.
- Certified Training in Solution Focused Brief Therapy
- Certified Training in PAL – Phonological Awareness for Literacy
- Training with low-tech and some hi-tech alternative and augmentative communication methods such as visual scheduling and Proloquo2Go.
- Training in Narrative Therapy and Carl Gray’s Social Stories.
c/o Sonas Play Therapy, O' Rahilly St., Youghal, Co. Cork
c/0 Cork Children's Clinic, Westside Centre, Model Farm Rd., Cork